As promised in Part 1 of Entertaining Sonoma Style ™, part 2…lighting. Whether at dusk or night, lighting is a key element to setting the party mood and creating your personal style.
What are some of my favorite ways to light a party? Depending on the venue, inside or out…here are some ideas:
- Strings of lights-from simple Christmas tree lights to Vintage style outdoor bulbs, strings are the quickest way to light a broad expanse. Across courtyards, in trees, from pole to pole, strings are in.
- Candles, candles and more candles-You can never have too many candles. For outdoor parties I recommend lanterns or glass containers for fire safety. How ever you choose to do so, candles create a wonderful glow and nothing sheds a more flattering light for any complexion then candle light.
- Chandeliers, whether electrified or not-get an old chandelier and wire it to existing outdoor lighting, or unwire an old fixture and stick candles in the sockets and string it up to a tree, or pergola overhang. There are even solar bulbs these days. What ever way you do it, chandeliers add romance to any setting.
- Torchieres-From tiki torches to table torches, add lighting to any and all areas. The photo below…a great idea for old wine bottles. Make up your own tiki torch.
- Ambiant lighting in plants, along walk way’s, on fences-whether placing lights (solar or electrified) under table clothes, using glow in the dark paint on planters (as in the picture below) or planning your landscape to include ambient lighting, a general glow to your venue is great.
How do you light your parties? Any tips and tricks you’d like to share? Leave me a comment in the section below, I love hearing from you. And, for more great ideas, follow me on Pinterest. I’ll see you there. Cheers!