One of the reasons I love living in Sonoma County is the sense of community, and a prime example was this years Apple Harvest at our neighbors, it was pure Entertainment Sonoma Style™!
Similar to the old community barn raising events, harvest of personal gardens and orchards is a great excuse to get the neighbors together for both the help as well as a good time. And of course a sampling of the crop.
We had a perfect Sonoma County day as we began picking apples at 10AM, press started up by 11. People came and went, with a quiet lull around 5, until the party started up at 7!
Between the picture perfect day, the delicious variety of apples, and even some pears, plus of course the great company, fun was had by all.
As this was my first apple press party I enjoyed learning all about the process. It goes something like this:
- Pick the apples and cart over to the press area
- The apples are put into water buckets for cleaning off the general dust…no chemicals of course!
- Then a group quarters the apples taking out only the worst spots
- They go into the press (everything including core etc.) and are hand pressed into pitchers
- The bottles we all bring are filled, and of course there was a lot of taste testing along the way. There were many different varieties.
- And nothing goes to waste as the skins and remnants are saved to ferment…all to make both apple and pear grappa in about 3 months!
To top off the day was an evening filled with celebration. Everyone brought a dish to pass and a bottle of something to drink (OK, mostly wine).
The hosts grilled an amazing assortment of meats and fish. Everything was delicious under the stars. Even to the point of a full moon rise that was spectacular. And not to forget the live entertainment, including my Mr. on guitar, and neighbors singing and playing.
It was the prelude to my birthday, and as such, a wonderful way to celebrate another year. It affirms why I really love living here in Sonoma County.
Thanks to our neighbors Lori & Wolfgang for hosting this fun event! It really is about #LiveLifeSonomaStyle™!