ALERT, THIS NEW TREND IS GROWING: The buzz word is downsizing & rightsizing. For some, in fact, it is going smaller. Many of the baby boomers are now empty nesters who are getting older and want to live a simpler and easier lifestyle. They are in fact down sizing, whether it’s a smaller home, or, fewer of them.
Also, there is a core group of young first time homebuyers who’s sensibility is to live a simpler way of life. They are rebelling against the age of consumerism and want to live a life that harkens back to their Grandparents. This includes smaller homes, vegetable gardens, co-op buying and living. I see this quite a bit here on our Northern California coast.
And for others, there is a desire to create a space that flows with the way they really live their life, and truly fits their needs; not some cookie cutter McMansion created by a developer as a business investment. I call this right sizing and it is part of the Slow Home movement. Some signs of this are
- Square footage is down in home purchases
- children are being home schooled so need a study space
- a desire for more community interaction, less isolation
- more people are working out of their home and need a work space
- retirement communities are on the rise.
- the vrbo business is growing as people sell off second or third homes
- Grown children are moving home once again, along with aging parents