One of the things I love most about my living room is our window seat. It’s where I sit first thing in the morning with my coffee, watch the sun rise and spend a little quiet time before I hit the day running. It’s also where I can catch a little nap or reading time with my Grand daughter, time well spent for the two of us.
A window seat is a great addition to your home. I often add window seats for my interior design clients since the space beneath a window is often wasted. Window seats can provide both extra storage space as well as a place to sit, relax, read a book and look out the window. Window seats can be very versatile, offering:
- Added seating space in a living room or a family room
- Provide a private reading corner
- Offer a great view to the outside
- As part of a eating nook in a kitchen, literally a booth
- Can add both seating in an entry to put shoes on and take shoes off, and offers storage for your shoes below
- Can create an extra sleeping spot particularly in a child’s room
- Creates a place of respite to retreat to and dream a bit
- Offers a spot to work on projects, such as knitting, that require an abundance of natural light
Window seats can lend a bit of romance to a room as many people feel a sense of luxury for the spare time which lounging in a window seat suggests. Typically, I like a window seat that is installed in front of a window with a great view, so that someone seated in it can enjoy a beauty break. Window seats can offer a perfect spot from which to simply observe.
Do you have a window seat in your home? How do you use it?
Check out the video below for some great ideas and I invite you to let me know where your private spot in your home is by leaving a comment below!