Nothing can change the energy, feel and update or freshen up the overall look of a house faster then a new coat of paint. Color cannot only dramatically change your home environment but is also one of the easiest and least expensive ways to achieve it. Color can infuse your home with life…calm and relax you, or…rejuvenate your spirit. Color is personal. It can make a bold statement or it can be subdued and mellow. You will create an entirely different mood depending on your choice of color as you can see in the photos below…same room, 4 different moods.
Color can also feel very intimidating. There are an infinite number of colors…did you know there are at least 80 shades of white alone? All that could make your head spin when trying to select the perfect color for your room. As a professional I use the following tips when selecting paint colors:
- I take my inspiration from a cherished rug or a favorite piece of art
- I select the color family with one of the above in mind and with the help of a favorite color fan deck I select the perfect shade
- I buy a sample jar, or a quart of the color and paint a 3×4 wood or illustration board with the color
- Then I move the board around the room through out the day to see how the color reacts with both the natural and night light and in the room next to the furnishings etc.
- Once I make my decision I get my paint and go to town…eggshell finish for the walls, matte for the ceiling and satin for all trim.
- I NEVER use decorator white, too harsh, but rather tend towards warm shades of a lighter color for the trim
- I keep all of the ceilings and all of the trim the same color in all the rooms to help maintain a flow through out the house, but usually change wall colors by room
If you are still in doubt, I highly recommend you hire a professional to help you select your colors. Paint covers the largest space in a home and therefore has the most impact on the look and feel of a room. Isn’t it worth it to get it right the first time? After all, you wouldn’t want to be like Mrs. Blandings in the video below…While VERY funny, the results could make you extremely unhappy.
When was the last time you had to choose colors for your home? Did you like the end results? What colors did you use?
In the meantime, enjoy the video below, and prepare to laugh out loud! If YOU don’t want to go through that, contact me, I’ll be happy to help you!