8 Ways to Naturally Scent Your Home
Scent is one of the most powerful of all the human senses.
Scent and odors around us have a profound impact on how we perceive the world and how the world perceives us. Certainly we have all encountered a certain unexpected scent that vividly transported us back to a particular moment in time. Maybe it was a specific cologne reminding us of a former lover, or powder the smell of our baby.
Whatever the scent – good or bad – we know that it stimulates something within. Therefore, how your home smells will do more to evoke past and create future memories as well as uplift your spirit and affect the Energetics of Your Space™!
Here are 8 ways I like to naturally scent space to uplift your mood and help you feel at home in your world.
- Fresh flowers or potted flowering plants: Seasonal flowering plants as great. When they are no longer at their best transplant them in your garden!
- Aromatherapy of essential oils: drops on a light bulb or cotton ball and then placed unobtrusively around the house will send off scent, especially when the heat of the light warms it up. I personally love anything minty and citrusy in my living space, or lavender in my bedroom as a relaxant.
- Pots of fresh herbs: lavender, mint, rosemary, basil. Enjoy the herbs as a living plant, to cook with, and to place in strategic spots enjoying the scent. Lavender – an antiviral and relaxant; Mint-mental and mood pick me up; rosemary -mental stimulation; and basil -headaches and bronchial issues.
- Fresh Baked Bread and other baked goods: There’s a reason realtors say to bake something before you have an open house. Nothing smells like home more then freshly baked goods.
- Tonifiying Eucalyptus: clears the lungs and the head. Wrap twine around a bunch of eucalyptus and hang it in the shower. Every time the water is on and the shower steams up, the whole bathroom smells divine.
- Lemons and other citrus: Boil orange peel, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves on the stove top in the winter; fill a bowl or vase with lemons or mixed citrus as a center piece and let the citrus scent lift your spirits!
- Fresh linens: It’s like the beginning of spring. You can put sachets of natural scents in your linen cabinet and reap the uplifting benefits as you crawl into bed.
- The aroma of natural coffee beans: coffee naturally awakens our mind, whether we simply smell it or completely imbibed! Use as table center pieces-glass vases filled halfway with coffee beans and a natural vanilla soy candle in the middle. The heat from the candle enhances the smell, and, can transport you mentally and emotionally.
Do you have any favorite scents? How do you scent your home?