WOW, I can’t believe it’s Thanksgiving already, and once again I have so much to be grateful for!
I’ve always loved the Thanksgiving holiday, over every other holiday. I like that it isn’t about gifts, more, bigger, better etc. I like that the whole idea around Thanksgiving is…to give Thanks! Gratitude is a divine state. To be grateful makes us feel good. We know that people who are more grateful are happier, less depressed, less stressed, and more satisfied with their lives and social relationships. Grateful people also have a greater sense of purpose in life and more self acceptance. Grateful people find it easier to cope with life transitions, they grow more from difficult experiences, and in general they sleep better. And the really cool thing is that gratitude begets more gratitude!
So, what are some ways we can increase gratitude in our lives? Personally when I am going through difficult times I keep a gratitude journal. I force myself to write 10 things I am grateful for every night before I go to sleep. I call my family and friends and tell them how important they are to me and bask in the warmth of their love. I look around my life with “new” eyes and give thanks for the beauty in my life. I am learning to do this every day of my life and because of this, I feel better in general. This Thanksgiving why not share your gratitude with your friends and family and use the beauty of gratitude to decorate and uplift your space at the same time? (click on this link to see a video filled with Thanksgiving decorating ideas!)
- Transform words that express heartfelt sentiments into decorative motifs for your table.
- stencil it on table cloths, napkins, and create napkin rings with little bits of gratitude.
- Write quotes or heartfelt sentiment on strips of paper and wrap around your glasses.
- Stamp colorful messages and designs onto napkins.
- Wrap a series of candles with felt letters and spread the words down the middle of your table.
- But most importantly…tell the people that you love why you are grateful that they are in your life.
- My husband. Through the past couple of difficult years he’s maintained his solid core of kindness, gentleness and his ability to be present in each and every moment. He is a good man.
- My families health. My parents are going strong, my in-laws (after a difficult year) will be sitting at my table for Thanksgiving dinner and we are growing in numbers.
- The brightest and most beautiful granddaughter and her new brother who we are more and more in love with each and every day.
- My clients, of which there are more and more each and everyday. I am so grateful for their confidence in my ability to help them create their space.
- My home. It’s welcoming atmosphere and the love that resides in it.
- My country, and the fact that we have a voice and are able to articulate it.
- And you…each and every one of you who support me with your thoughtful comments, and who take the time to actually read what I write.
For all that and more…Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
For the best video on gratitude I’ve seen, check this out. It’s worth the watch and at full screen. Tell me, what are you grateful for this year?
I’ll see you all after the holiday, so from my family to yours…Happy Thanksgiving!