#Giving Tuesday is a new Holiday Tradition that I whole heartedly endorse!
With many people feeling that the holiday season is becoming more and more consumer oriented, there is a small but growing number of movements trying to take back what the season is supposed to be about. One of these is Buy Nothing Day which is celebrated on the same day as Black Friday. And the newly launched idea that I hope will become a much larger movement, Giving Tuesday.
The basic idea behind Giving Tuesday is that we already celebrate a day where we give thanks. We have two days, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, which are dedicated to shopping and finding the best deals. Wouldn’t it be nice to also have a day dedicated to giving back to others?
This Tuesday November 27, 2012 charities, families, businesses and individuals are coming together to transform the way people think about, talk about and participate in the giving season.
It’s a simple idea. Find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to join in acts of giving. Tell everyone you can about what you are doing and why it matters. Join a national celebration of our great tradition of generosity.
And become a social media ambassador by sharing what you are doing through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and more! In other words…spread the word…You know I’m all about that!
Here are just a few ideas of how you can get involved:
- First off, think local!
- Do you have a food bank, church, fellowship or other organization in your community you can help out at?
- Homeless shelter you can donate too?
- Literacy program you can work with immigrants or young people who need extra help?
- You can donate to a favorite organization from the Occupy: Stacy, to Ceres, a great organization we have here in Sebastopol.
- Donate clothing-not only does it help clear out clutter in your home, but also gives it to someone who can really use it!
- Spend your time, money and resources to help someone, anyone in need!
- Basically, just
So, what can you give this holiday? Won’t you share your story in the comment section below? I’d love to hear and share forward!