I’ve been a reader since I first learned. I’ll never forget the day I was visiting my sister and her family. I woke early and walked into the kitchen for some coffee and there were my niece, nephew and sister sitting at the breakfast table eating and reading their books. I just had to laugh as that was exactly how I grew up! Books weren’t allowed at the dinner table, but breakfast? Well, at the time it was a kind of meditation, and a great way to start the morning. Since then I have been an avid reader and to this day when I move, I move with over 60 boxes of books! Yes, I take them with me. Now…I do own an iPad…I love that iPad. And yes, when I travel that is also my reading material. But otherwise, I am a lover of books. How do I love books? Let me count the ways:
- I love holding them
- I love smelling the pages of an old book
- I love old smelly bookstores, my favorite is the Strand in NYC!
- I love them in laying in piles around the house, just seeming to wait to be picked up and opened revealing a whole host of fascinating subject matter!
- I love looking at the pictures of all my decorating and design books and I find inspiration in them each and every day…even while enjoying, and using pinterest and my online magazines for my client presentations, there is nothing like the actual book!
- I love using books in my home decorating and renovation projects for clients who also love to read. To me there is nothing warmer, cozier or more inviting then a room filled with books. Makes me want to sit down, stay awhile and enjoy the many vicarious adventures that books offer up!
- And, I love that my grand baby is also being exposed to books by her Mama, three Grandmothers, and two Grandfathers! She will grow up enjoying her books, as she already does. And, at two she is already well versed at using her little index finger and navigating her way around my iPad and iPhone…THAT is the reality of this new generation.
However, to me a book is a treasure and a way to travel via my imagination. I can’t see a world without books in one form or another, at least I hope not! Are you a reader? Do you love books? Leave me a comment below and let me know where books stand in your life.
In part two I will share many different ways to display books, and the many rooms they can be a part of. In the meantime, enjoy the fun video below…it is dedicated to all of us book lovers!